Do you have dental anxiety?
Anxiety can cause a racing heart, fearfulness, a sick feeling to your stomach — the list goes on and on. When you need to go to the dentist, your anxiety levels may increase, especially if you have had a bad experience at the dentist’s office before. Fear of pain is usually the top reason people get anxiety when it comes to the dentist. But this does not mean you should stop going to the dentist. In fact, not going can have a detrimental effect on your teeth.
Five ways to help your anxiety about going to the dentist
1. You need to be completely clear with your dentist. Let them know you have anxiety and that you need extra reassurance that everything will be okay. Tell them if your threshold to pain is low. Your dentist will then be more mindful when it comes to open communication and transparency.
2. Before your dental appointment, make sure you are taking care of your body. Eat fruits, vegetables, nuts, lean meats and fish, and drink enough water throughout the day. By eating right, you will lower your chances of having oral health problems, besides making sure to brush well enough.
3. Ask your friend, partner or family member to attend the appointment with you. This will help you feel more in control of the situation, as knowing there is someone around whom you can trust is always reassuring.
4. If your anxiety is such that you cannot seem to bring yourself to even step inside a dental office, then you may want to ask your dentist about a method called sedation therapy. This will cause you to sleep throughout the procedure, so you will not be anxious at all.
5. Lastly, try to find calming music that you can listen to. This will distract you from the potentially anxiety-inducing sounds of the dentist’s office. Close your eyes, sit back and relax in the reclining chair. Practice meditation and steadily breathe along with your favorite classical music. With the right type of thinking, you can change your anxious feelings in seconds. Be sure to focus on your breathing first.
Ease your anxiety with the quick tips above, and you will walk out of your dentist’s office with shiny, healthy teeth.
Seeing a dentist at least twice a year is vital to keep your health up to par. Call us to learn more about our top-notch dentists. Not only do we care about your comfort, we are trained when it comes to easing your anxiety. We treat all our patients with utmost gentle care.